Mama's Dramas

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

mystery


We have read your 3 books, played with your 5 toys and now you stare at me as if to say “what are you gonna do for me now?” I made a choice to only have a few toys so that you would get to know them and also so that you would discover the world outside of toys…so that you would discover that the world is your toy. But now we are bored. Both of us, and if I read “The Little Duck” one more time, I think I will be sick. So I pick you up and we walk around the house to look at things. This is a favorite occupation of yours and a good upper body work out for me so it works out well for both of us. We head upstairs and stop at the window to watch the cars go by. You love this. On the window there are patterns in the ice, snowflakes so intricate and beautiful that it’s hard to believe that they were not intentionally created by some careful artist. Maybe they were. You are fascinated by these sparkling circular patterns. You don’t seem to blink, your mouth open with a steady stream of drool trickling out, mountains of red cheeks on either side.
It’s the end of the day and the orange last light is sparkling through the ice. It looks like a show being put on just for us. This little corner of magic happening on our window. “This is magic.” I say to you. “This is mystery.” “Can you say “mystery?” You look at me wide eyed. “You are a mystery.” I say to you. “So you don’t have to say it…you just are it.” You smile and look back to the fading light at the window. “Everything that we can’t explain, all the mysteries, those are god.” “We can’t explain you, so you are God.”
Lukas is almost four months old now, so it seems like a good time to introduce him to the concept of god. It will take him his whole life to truly understand, so I want to give him a head start on things. After all, I am still uncertain about what god really is. There is still so much that I can’t explain, so much mystery.

After the light leaves the window we head into the bedroom and I make shadow puppets on the wall. Lukas stares at the moving patches of darkness. He is transfixed. In this moment I am glad he only has 5 toys. The world of distractions awaits him later….for now we have the sun and ice and our own shadows mixing with the mystery of so much unknown to entertain us....and that is enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home