Mama's Dramas

Thursday, March 01, 2007

showing up


This morning my friend Trina called. She asked me how I am. I answered “good” and really I am good. It’s a sunny day. It feels warmer out. I hear new birds outside and that makes me hopeful for spring. I have a few plans for today. Make a soup. Have a friend over for lunch. Our big outing is to go to the library for “shake out your sillies”. It’s all relative. A year ago if you asked me what I want to do for fun it wouldn’t have been going to the library to shake rattles and listen to oldies while a bunch of babies wiggle and crawl around me. But today that sounds great. Today that is an outing and any outing sounds good. Lately I feel like I’m just killing time. I watch the clock. Its 8:00 so that means that he should take a nap soon. He will probably sleep until 9:15 or so and then he will need to eat soon after. I should eat again. Now it’s 12:00 and I should go shopping. Oh it’s Wednesday already, only 2 more days until the weekend. Now it’s Sunday again, almost a new week. Now he is another month old. Time just passes but I don’t want to live my life this way. I don’t want to kill time. I seem to get further and further away from “who I was”….or at least further away from how I showed up in the world. I used to show up as a wacky and zany spontaneous artist….a hiker, a skier, a biker. Now I show up as the mom, I shop, I make food, I clean, I change diapers, I go to the library. I know. I will always be the artist, the wacky woman….but I want to show up in the world that way.Today I am relatively good. If you asked me how I am, I would say “good”. But there is so much more going on. This being a mother is such a big change. I really never knew

3 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger margaret said...

I was just talking with some friends of mine about how there is no way to ever know what a huge change it will make in your life until it happens to you. You can spend all your time planning and thinking about it and preparing, and then all of a sudden you have a baby and your life is more different than you ever could have imagined. It's intense.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger margaret said...

Also, not only does Darwin have that exact outfit, he's got two of them!

:)

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I love reading your blog! I am really looking forward to that life but honestly, I don't think I'm preparing conciously at all. It's just too much to take in. On the other hand I'm really looking forward to moving back your way and sharing it all with you! Great pics of Lukas, what an aware little man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home