Mama's Dramas

Thursday, November 20, 2008

no means no


The first year of Lukas’ life was all about responding to cues, listening, trying to discover what his needs were so we could fulfill them. Then he developed wants but he was still so little that we could either give him what he wanted or distract him away from it with an alternative. These days Lukas is fighting back. He is whining and hitting and saying no. He grabs and says “mine”. He doesn’t want to share. My charming babbling baby is a red faced pushing little imp at times. Not all the time. He is still cuddly and soft but more and more these days he challenges us and it is hard to know how to respond. Tonight Jorg had an all out battle with him. Lukas would not pick up his cards. Jorg tried tactic after tactic but still Lukas would not surrender. I wasn’t home but I witnessed the aftermath. Jorg was exhausted and distraught and it leads to big conversations about how and when to discipline. It just isn’t pretty. It is amazing how this role of being a parent just keeps shifting. Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I decided that every time Tessa starts to say "mine!" I'm going to say "ours!". I can't wait till she can talk and then I think maybe I can.... ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home