Mama's Dramas

Saturday, February 07, 2009

cozy winter moments


For all the moaning about winter and cold and bundling crying toddlers and babies…it isn’t all bad. Today we had a really cozy and sweet day. It wasn’t a big outing or adventure…just a walk….but the kind of memory that I hope will stick with Lukas, with all of us and since we forgot to bring the camera I had better write about it. We got up and had yummy lemon and ricotta pancakes that Jorg made. Then we headed off to Redrocks for a walk in the woods. It was windy and at first I didn’t think we would make it that far but Lukas persevered. We walked for over an hour and in the end he didn’t want to stop. We threw snowballs and he collected leaves. We took turns sliding in the big wooden sled. First Jorg pulling Lukas and I. Then me pulling Lukas. Then we all slid down a few hills and in the end I pulled a tired Lukas and a cuddly Jorg back to the car. A small dog followed us for some time causing a tremendous giggle fest as he chased along side the sled. The sun crept out here and there offering moments of warmth and the big trees creaked and moaned all around us in the wind. If felt special and ordinary all at the same time. After our outdoor adventures we all piled, rosy cheeked and fresh, into Lake Champlain Chocolates for hot cocoa and chocolate samples. In the end Lukas fell asleep in the car and slept for 3 hours at home! It was a kind of morning that I imagined when I became pregnant. It is special and fleeting and deeply, quietly satisfying. May we continue to brave the elements for such simple and rich rewards.

1 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is exactly the kind of day that I dreamed of when I first got pregnant too. Congratulations on living the dream, even if for one solitary morning.

I still read all the time, everything you write. It's nice to have your voice with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home