Mama's Dramas

Friday, April 26, 2013

mountains to climb

I took Lukas and a friend hiking today.  It was such fun to spend time with these children.  These people with such a different perspective on life.  Mostly, they dawdled away at rivers, collecting sticks and looking under rocks.  They were not goal oriented but whenever I reminded them of the prize, getting to the top, they hustled themselves up and skipped along with determination. Snake mountain, a hike that usually should take 2 hours lasted over 4!  With 4 snack breaks and many distractions we made our way up and down.  As we neared the end of the hike I found myself in the lead.  Behind me I could hear their voices small and filled with enthusiasm talking about their magic powers and who could freeze who and who could turn the tree to stone and on and on.  I looked up and felt such gratitude.  How could I have a boy who is old enough to adventure with friends, to have a private world that he can only explore and revel in with peers?  I had planned this day to be a Lukas and me day.  I thought we would take a mommy and son hike.  The opportunity to invite a friend came up and when Lukas heard this he lit up with glee.  I told him no at first.  We drove 15 minutes towards the mountain with him quietly staring out the window, resigned to my adult power and control, when I said " You really wanted your friend to come didn't you?" "Yes." he said quietly.  I took a deep breath and sighed and said "Let's go get him."  Lukas began talking and planning and singing and all sorts of things.  I want to be with him.  I love being with him.  I love being with him when he is happy.  And it was fun!  We talked of their baby years and my child years and my memories of my brother.
Lukas is so into hearing about my childhood memories.  We talked about magic.  We talked about telling the truth and trust.  We talked about all sorts of things.  The boys laughed.  They laughed so hard on the way home that Lukas couldn't breathe!  I did learn that if I ever want to be a stand up comic for 6 year old boys I really only need this as my repertoire "poop butt doo doo penis diarrhea boob head soda bottle up your bum."  Done.
Julien had an eventful day as well.  Today was his full day at the schoolhouse which is what prompted a hike that would be too big for him.  He had his own mountains to climb however because today for the first time in schoolhouse history a child in story time pulled the fire alarm and caused all the kids to go outside and the fire trucks to come.  Yes, this child was Julien.  I think it scared him and excited him all at the same time.  He told me about it right when I came in.  At first he simply said that there was a fire drill and fire trucks came and firemen were there.  When papa prompted him to explain the rest he had a slight smirk and said that he pulled the alarm.  Then he hugged me.  All in a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home