Mama's Dramas

Friday, October 04, 2013

little boys thoughts

Julien has shared some interesting thoughts with me lately.  He has often come out with abstract or curious observations.   He announced the other day that he was allergic to himself.  He told several people.  Then he laughed with pride.  Tonight as we lay in his dark room and he shared his fear of waking up alone in the dark and needing Lukas there.  He also told me that a gravestone is something for when we die and that we write our names on it.  He then whispered "soon we are going to have a gravestone."  It is hard to feel slightly creeped out when your three year old whispers something like this to you in a dark room.  But I held my ground and responded "Hopefully not soon but someday we will."  "Will the house fall over on our gravestones?"  He asked.  "No."  I replied and stroked his white peach fuzz hair. 
He has been having a reoccurring dream where he finds a dead cat and then throws it in the trash.  When he throws it in a ghost appears and chases him.  The ghost has a bag on its face, so he cannot see who it is.
When I was a child I believed in ghosts and magic and all sorts of things.  The lines between what was real and what was imagined were very unclear.  At times I let myself wander into that world of child like mystery and wild possibility.  It is a beautiful and terrifying place.  It reminds me that while childhood is so very precious it is not all fairy princess' and plush bunnies.  It is a scary place where anything can happen and nothing is quite understood.  It is a place where we need a lot of faith and trust and a strong hand to hold.  Maybe when we grow up there can still be place for magic and mystery....as long as we too have a lot of faith and trust and a strong hand to hold as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home