Mama's Dramas

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

pesty sickness

Today, Lukas, 7 years old actually said to me...."Mama, I want my mittens in 5,4,3 2,1."  When my jaw dropped and I said "What?" he replied with "Well, you are my personal Mamabot."
Man, did I feel like that today.  I felt sick and Lukas said he was sick so I was duped into letting him stay home....despite the fact that it turned out he was much healthier than I.  It was a bad move.  He and Julien pestered each other all day long.  I separated them three times.  Julien sat on Lukas' head.  Lukas ran up stairs crying and banged doors.  They hid each others toys and cookies.  They fought over the same three blocks, twice.  Normally they are amazing.  Honestly, it is usually easier when they are both home because they have such a great time together.... They make forts and build shops or restaurants with real food.  They build villages with blocks and make art galleries in our kitchen and use the old camera to make movies.  They create a band or put on a magic show.  They play outside in puddles or ice or water.  Their stars were not aligned today.  I think there is some sort of alpha male thing going on or something.  I have no idea. 

I do love them so much lately though.  They help each other and play well and are so quirky and bright and interesting.  Lukas tells me his wild and twisting dreams when he wakes up and Julien is so full of particulars....wants to choose his clothes, always wear pajamas, costumes, shoes, black clothes.  Wants to pick out everything he comes in contact with....special spoon and bowl and cup and hat and mittens.  He has a preference for everything.  He is so into imagined stories as well....so totally convinced of the water man in the basement or the magic fairies in the corner of our yard.  He will enter into a make believe world with such conviction....and I love to go down that rabbit hole with him....to ask questions...what does the water man look like?  How does he talk?  Do boats sail on his body?  Does he have water children?  I get lost in those worlds and sincerely intrigued with his answers.  His creativity is so fresh as a four year old.  I am drawn to it.  Today he painted this amazing picture on the chalk board at Lukas' piano lessons.  It was so abstract and non symmetrical and unique.  I could have never painted it.  It was pure expression with not obvious intention.  He was so intent on every detail, erasing little parts and filling in with different colors and stepping back and looking at it.  Meanwhile, Lukas was pushing on with his piano, learning about Treble Clefs or Trouble Clefs as he called them.  I try not to get attached to a vision of them as artists....I can't honestly envision them as anything other than what they are.  I can't see them as the babies that they once were no more than I can imagine them as big lanky teenagers full of awkward and sturdy expressions.  The other day as Lukas planned Julien's birthday party....the games we would play and the scavenger hunt clues and how he would present his gift he smiled at me and said :Mama, I love making people happy.  That is why I love Christmas and birthdays.  I just love giving people things and seeing them be happy.  I can't wait!"  I love them.....but man, when I am sick....just give me some space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home