Mama's Dramas

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

mother nature

It is finally cold, freezing actually. The wind blew in from the north today with such force that the clouds in the sky turned supernatural shapes and the road was a mass of swirling white snakes that twisted and turned along the gray surface. I breathe out a sigh of relief.
It has been unnaturally warm this December. We all complain when the weather turns cold. Our complaints unite us in our humanity. Our universal discomfort somehow brings us all together and gives us something to talk about. We connect through our mutual weary response to the winter. So when it never got cold, when we continued to leave the house without a hat or mittens and the shovels and ice scrapers lie dormat in corners of our houses we were somehow concerned. What if this is it? What if this is the year that winter does not come? What if we just bumble through the winter with mud and rain and spring jackets? How will the great thaw feel then? How will the summer feel? It isn't natural. It isn't how things were meant to be. It isn't what we were brought up with. What if we just complained too much and mother nature decided to listen?
There are times when Lukas asks for a chocolate or a treat or a movie and for some reason beyond his understanding and often beyond my own I just say yes. I say yes at a time when I don't usually say yes, when there is no apparent reason why I should say yes. "I can?" he asks. "Why?" I don't do too much explaining for my reasons are usually odd and convoluted. However, If I bend enough times he gets confused. He gets moody and complains and whines at most anything. He begs for more and more and more and more. Although he whines and complains to have what he wants he somehow trusts that I will say no. If we give him an entire chocolate bar (this was an experiment) he will only eat a little and then say "Is that what you would let me have mama?" "I think I am full. I think I will stop there."
He wants me to set the boundary. It's easier. I set the boundry and within that he can push and wriggle and fight as much as he like.
We want to complain about mother nature but really....we don't want her to change. When we whine about the wind chill dropping below 0 or about the snow storms in March we just want to whine. We just want to wiggle and squirm. We trust you mother nature. We know you know what is best. We are just being kids......and kids can be quite complicated creatures.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger kirsten said...

Love it! Tessa said "we asked for it!" the other day when I annoyingly said "i guess winter's finally here". She's right we did. Nothing more natural than talking about the weather in Vermont.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home